Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants are interesting ways of phrasing who has been raised with the modern digital technology, as opposed to who has to re learn how to function in society. My generation, I would consider at the very beginning of digital native. There are technological things I do not understand or know how to work, but I know more than some adults I have met in my life. But this is the same for every generation, just not necessarily digital. Each era brings about new technology, and those raised with it will understand it better than those who have to learn it later in life.
The digital divide can affect us learning now, when we teach students years into the future. Those students will be raised with more advanced technology than we initially learned how to use. It is important to keep up with technology so that we can better engage the students, with technology that excites and interests them.
It is important that we keep up with the internet, and modern technology and that us as educators don't use technology strictly as a tool, but to learn more about our students, to better engage and interest them.
I agree mostly with what was presented, but I also know how easy it is to get out dated by technology. Students will always know a little more than the teacher when it comes to modern technology, they know how to use It and abuse it. It will be difficult for the teachers to keep an eye on young kids when they are behind a screen, because they know the short keys to switch display, and how to make it look like they are doing what they are supposed to, when they aren't. Technology also makes it real easy to fake work, through editing sights, or to cheat in other ways. Depending on the audience, it could potentially do more harm then good. I feel it is still important to teach the basics before the modern stuff. For example, teach how to use a pencil before learning digital art, learn how to use the dark room, and light sensitive paper before digital cameras and photoshop, learn how to mix color before using premixed colored paint.
Using technology to teach these however, is a good way to engage the students, through powerpoint, or in some way interactive displays. Children typically enjoy hands on work, and it could help them learn faster, so using technology that way at first could be helpful, and later in their educational career it is important that they learn how to create digital art, just as much as how to create traditional art. I wish I had learned how to use the adobe suite earlier, and learned how to create digital art by middle school.
As a teacher, I will be presenting the lesson though google slides, and I have been recommended to use google classroom for grading if it works with the district. I find google to be a great resource for educational needs. I will also attempt to find digital resources such as color mixers to demonstrate how the color wheel works before having them try it themselves with paint.
No comments:
Post a Comment