Visual culture to me is a work of art, or some visual product that displays hints at what is going on in the world around us. Particularly showcasing events surrounding the artist, be it personal or in a broader sense.
In the June K McFee video, she related her lessons and art to her childhood. She took her experiences and incorporated them into her teaching philosophy and artwork.
It took me a minute, but I have heard of Zine before, from a student in high school. I never made one, but I remember it was an option for a project for one of the classes I was in.
I think having a zine library is important because it brings attention to small name artists. They aren't officially published by a company, but instead by the artist, meaning it is the purest and most raw form of their work.
Working on zines is important because it can be a beginning step towards making officially published work, or getting your name out there. They make work relating to themselves, and share that with the world, so others can read about their experiences. I find it to be similar to deviantart artists.
I think introducing students to zines could be beneficial to them, because it can be tied with their English classes, and they get to write about personal experiences. They get to tell their story, and have creative freedom on how they do it.
I feel this last video was hard to follow and kind of all over the place with long examples displayed between arguments. I feel this video is more of a long rant on one persons views, and could have been organized a bit better. however, I think incorporating modern culture into works of art and lessons is important, because students should be aware of what is going on around them.
I honestly don't understand what exactly she is arguing. She was talking about the meaning in art, and how it is displayed, but I don't find it much of an argument, more of stating the fact that how you display a work of art can draw different audiences and affect its meaning.
No comments:
Post a Comment